12 Surprising Things Holding Back Online Video Advertising
(via TechCruch) After four years in the online video business, one thing is clear: if you produce high quality content and build sufficient distribution across a large enough number of consumer touch points, you can generate more than enough revenue from multiple sources and platforms to build a profitable, stand-alone business. But no one said it would be quick or easy.
Building distribution isn’t obvious and most producers fail to build any meaningful reach, but if you can hatch an editorial direction and business strategy that can attract an audience, over time you will be able to create a real business around it. But keep in mind the surprises below.
- Lack of Definitions and Standards After All of These Years
- The Myth That Branded Content Is a New Thing
- It Takes A Different Playbook
- Video Consumption Patterns Are Whack
- Just Because You Build an Audience, Doesn’t Mean The Advertisers Will Come Knocking
- When It Comes to Sales, Sell Your Audience, Not Your Videos
- The Myth and Danger of the Viral Video
- With Advertisers Sitting on the Sidelines, Partnerships Need to Make Sense for Producers
- Don’t Chase Hits
- YouTube is More Open than Challengers
- Everything Won’t Be Ad-Supported
- Search and Video are Still Miles Apart
Read the Full Story: 12 Surprising Things Holding Back Online Video Advertising